Turkey burgers have a bad rap don’t they? It’s typical to order one from a restaurant and it’s the same old flavorless dry burger. But it’s healthy so you eat it anyway. Thank goodness for the toppings, ha! I’m a huge fan of ground turkey and use it in a variety of recipes like my BBQ Cheddar Meatloaf Minis. I was determined to make The Best Turkey Burgers at home and I have to say, I nailed it.
My turkey burgers are so juicy and full of flavor! I usually pan fry them but you can grill them as well. We top them simply with provolone cheese, creamy coleslaw and our favorite barbecue sauce. My family absolutely loves these and we eat them year round. What’s not to love???
How to Make The Best Turkey Burgers
My turkey burgers are so easy to make! The mix-ins are pantry/fridge staples that I always have on hand. But first, what kind of ground turkey should you use? I highly recommend using the 85% or 93% lean for these burgers. If you use the 99% lean, the turkey will certainly be dry. You need some fat to maintain moisture.
To the 2 pounds of ground turkey, add Italian style bread crumbs, egg, garlic powder, dried or fresh parsley, fresh diced onion, salt and pepper. That’s it!
Form the mixture into six 1/3 pound patties or eight 1/4 pound patties. Next, pan fry or grill. When pan frying, you’ll need to add a little oil. Make sure to use one that is good for high heat cooking like canola, avocado, or aroma/flavor free coconut oil like the one I used here.
Number One Tip for Juicy Turkey Burgers
If there is one thing you learn about making burgers of any kind, it is that you absolutely, positively NEED an instant read thermometer. It’s the best tool for creating the perfect temperature, juiciest burgers. If you overcook turkey, there’s no turning back so get one of these or something similar. This isn’t sponsored either – I just love my Thermapen! Cook The Best Turkey Burgers to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. I usually add the cheese when they reach 155-160 degrees.
Follow my tips and tricks and these turkey burgers will turn out perfectly every time. I honestly think they are better than any turkey burger that I’ve had in a restaurant. They are juicy, flavorful, and simple to make. That’s why the perfect name for them is The Best Turkey Burgers. I hope you love them as much as we do!
The Best Turkey Burgers
- 2 lbs ground turkey (85% – 93% lean)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola, avocado, or vegetable), if pan frying
- Provolone cheese
- Creamy coleslaw
- BBQ sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, add turkey, onions, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper. Use a large spoon (or gloved hands) to mix until combined well.
- Form into six 1/3 pound patties or eight 1/4 pound patties. Make sure they are a little larger in circumference than the buns you will be using because they will shrink slightly.
- If pan frying, heat a large non-stick skillet to medium-high. Add oil then place patties in the skillet. Cook until browned on one side then flip. Continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- If grilling, heat grill to high and cook on both sides until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Place cooked burgers on buns with toppings of choice.
- It is not recommended to use 99% lean ground turkey or your burgers will be dry. The best to use is 85% lean.
- An internal instant read thermometer is an essential tool to make sure these burgers are cooked perfectly to the correct temperature. If you go beyond 165 degrees, they will dry out quickly.
- Add the cheese when the temperature is around 155 so that it’s melted by the time the correct temp is reached.