Grilled Greek Chicken Gyros
Chicken breasts are marinated in a lemony herb vinaigrette, grilled and sliced then added to warm pitas with a homemade, tangy tzatziki sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and feta. Easy and delicious!
- 2 1/2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fat trimmed)
- 12 oz Newman's Own Lemon Basil Vinaigrette (about 3/4 bottle)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 10 oz plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white or red wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded, diced small
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 pita flat breads
- 2-3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- Feta cheese crumbles
Place chicken in a zip top plastic bag and pour vinaigrette over the top. Massage to mix, zip up, and refrigate for 2 hours (or up to 6).
Heat grill to medium-high and grill chicken on both sides until internal temperature reached 165°F. Place on plate and tent with foil to rest and keep warm. Slice into strips before serving.
Make tzataiki sauce by mixing sour cream, yogurt, lemon, garlic, olive oil, vinegar until combined well. Add cucumber, dill, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Warm pita bread on grill or in microwave then assemble by adding sliced chicken, tzatziki sauce, romaine, tomatoes and feta. Serve immediately.
- If you can't find the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette use something similar or make your own Greek vinaigrette.
- For the most evenly grilled chicken, make sure to pound the breasts to an even thickness before marinating or butterfly them.
- Naan bread works well for this too if you can't find pita.