Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies
Chuck roast is slow cooked with pepperoncini peppers, onions, garlic, Italian dressing mix and a few other ingredients until it is "fall apart" tender. Then, it's piled onto buttery, cheesy toasted hoagie buns and topped with crunchy relish. A family favorite!
- 5-6 lbs chuck roast
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced or chopped
- 16 oz jar pepperoncini peppers
- 1 packet (.7 oz) Italian dressing mix
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef base (Better than Bouillon)
- 8 hoagie buns
- Softened butter (about 1/2 stick)
- 16 provolone cheese slices
- 1-2 cups Italian Mix Giardiniera vegetables, drained and roughly chopped
Place roast in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic. Pour pepperoncini peppers with all of the juice over the roast.
Whisk beef base and worcestershire together then pour on. Last, sprinkle the Italian dressing mix over the roast.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
Take meat out of slow cooker and place on a cutting board or sheet tray. Shred meat with two forks making sure to remove and discard any fatty pieces. Add meat back to slow cooker and stir to combine. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Spread butter on inner sides of hoagie buns. Place on a sheet tray and broil in oven for 1-2 minutes or until very lightly toasted. Remove and place cheese slices on buns. Place back under broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove portions of meat and add to prepared hoagie buns. Top with relish. Enjoy immediately.