Jalapeno Cherry BBQ Sauce
Sweet, dark cherries are simmered with jalapeños, garlic, onions, and more to create the tastiest sweet and spicy homemade barbecue sauce. Serve on chicken, pork or beef.
- 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Heat a large saucepan to medium-high then add butter. Add onions and jalapeño then cook until soft and browned.
Turn heat down to medium then add garlic. Cook about 1 minute then add remaining ingredients.
Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Carefully transfer to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Makes about 3 cups. Freezes well if needed.