Growing up in the Houston area, green salsa was a staple at every Mexican restaurant. There are many different versions, with some being more creamy and some more bright with lots of cilantro.
My Avocado Green Salsa reminds me of my home state the most. I experimented with so many different kinds before deciding that this one was perfect. It was a delicious experiment to say the least! My version is bright, tangy, creamy and bursting with flavor! It is a must-have accompaniment to my Enchiladas Verdes!
Avocado Green Salsa
- Blender or Food Processor
- 1/2 lb fresh tomatillos, (4-5)
- 1/2 cup large yellow onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and skin removed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and stem removed
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Remove husks from tomatillos and wash to remove stickiness. Cut in quarters and place in food processor or blender. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to create desired consistency. Taste and add more salt if needed.