I am having the busiest week and needed something super easy for this week’s recipe. You just can’t go wrong with chicken drumsticks. Am I right? I know my family will them love no matter if they’re grilled or baked. Drumsticks are inexpensive and can be cooked with a variety of flavors too. When I saw that oranges were on sale, I immediately got the idea of a spicy orange glaze. My Oven-Baked Drumsticks with Chipotle Orange Glaze are so simple but definitely a flavor explosion! That’s exactly what I was hoping for!
If you’re not a fan of spicy foods, don’t be scared! I am a wimp with spice! My preference is just enough spice to burn a little but not overpower the rest of the flavors. The smokiness of chipotle is one of my favorite ways to spice up a dish and I knew it would pair well with fresh, tangy orange.
To make the glaze, just add the juice and zest of one orange, soy sauce, butter, brown sugar, garlic, and chipotle peppers to a sauce pan. Cook for a few minutes then brush on the seasoned drumsticks. Bake them for 40-45 minutes and done. So easy!
The glaze is SO incredibly delicious! Sweet, tangy, spicy and perfect on chicken drumsticks! See those dark bits? Those are the chipotle pepper pieces and they give just enough spice to leave you wanting more. These Oven-Baked Drumsticks with Chipotle Orange Glaze exceeded my expectations and will be going on our regular dinner rotation. I know you’ll love them too!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Items on sale the week of October 13-19: Chicken drumsticks, oranges, butter, soy sauce (1.25 qt size), chipotle peppers, brown sugar
Oven-Baked Drumsticks with Chipotle Orange Glaze
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken drumsticks, about 10
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 chipotle pepper, diced (or 1 tablespoon pre-diced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Prepare large baking sheet by lining with non-stick foil or spraying with cooking spray.
- Add drumsticks to a large bowl. Sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. (Or add to zip top bag and shake) Place on baking sheet.
- Make glaze by adding butter, soy sauce, orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, chipotle peppers, and garlic to a small sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Taste and add more chipotle for more spice if desired. Turn off heat.
- Generously brush some of the glaze onto chicken and place in oven. After 10 minutes, remove chicken, turn drumsticks over, and brush again with glaze. Place back in oven. Cook 10 more minutes, turn drumsticks over again, and brush with remaining glaze. Continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 165°.
- If desired, turn on the oven broiler for 3-4 minutes at the end of cooking to add crispiness.