I have the most delicious recipe for y’all just in time for Labor Day weekend. I have been wanting to make hand pies for a couple of months now but, as usual, I wanted to make something that I’d never had before. A few nights ago we had s’mores in our backyard. I’m a HUGE s’mores fan and love any dessert that has the classic flavors of graham crackers, marshmallow and milk chocolate. I thought a “plain old” s’mores hand pie sounded too basic and wanted to add another flavor. Remember when you were a kid and made those banana boats over the campfire? Bananas placed in foil, split down the middle, then filled with marshmallows and chocolate chips-yum! Those were my inspiration for the added flavor and I decided on Banana S’mores Hand Pies. OH MY GOSH Y’ALL they turned out incredible!
If you’ve ever made a cookie or anything baked with marshmallows, you know that they tend to melt and disappear. I didn’t want that to happen in these pies so I decided to combine marshmallow creme and softened cream cheese. Then I added a few more mini marshmallows and the result was the perfect ooey gooey marshmallow filling. If you need to make them dairy free, just use plain marshmallow creme and mini marshmallows. Still delicious but I loved the cream cheese combo even more!
Banana S’mores Hand Pies are so simple to make! You start with ready made pie crust but feel free to make your own if you’re an overachiever. Then you cut smaller circles out of the crust. Next, just layer a piece of graham cracker, milk chocolate, 2 banana slices, a dollop of the marshmallow/cream cheese, and a few more mini marshmallows. Then you add a light egg wash to the edges, fold and seal. After placing on the pan, you brush with butter then sprinkle graham crumbs on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes and that’s it! They are my new favorite hand pie and I honestly can’t wait to make them again.
These would be perfect for your Labor Day gatherings or anytime you want a delicious treat! You don’t need to wait for a campfire to enjoy all the flavors from s’mores that you love! The bananas, pie crust and cream cheese take those classic s’mores flavors to the next level. Get the kids in the kitchen with you because they’re that easy and fun to make!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Items on sale the week of September 1-7: Food Club marshmallow creme, mini marshmallows, Hershey’s milk chocolate bars, graham crackers, butter
Banana S’mores Hand Pies
- 2 boxes ready made pie crust
- 6 graham crackers, broken into fours
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars, 1.55 oz each
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 7 oz marshmallow creme
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Prepare two baking sheets by spraying with baking/cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine marshmallow creme and cream cheese using a hand mixer until smooth. Set aside.
- Lay out one of the pie crusts on a flat surface. Using a bowl that is about 4 inches in diameter as a guide, cut out smaller circles with a knife. You should be able to get two. Then ball up remaining dough, roll it out with a rolling pin, and cut out one more circle. Repeat with remaining pie crusts until you have 12 four inch circles.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and water. Set aside.
- Lay dough circle on a flat surface then place one small graham cracker rectangle on it. Then add 3 small rectangles of chocolate (enough to cover cracker). Then add 2 slices of banana, a tablespoon of cream cheese mixture, and 4 mini marshmallows.
- Next, very lightly brush the egg wash around the edge of the circle completely (about 1/2 inch from edge).
- Fold dough over mixture to make a half circle. Press edge with fingers then with tines of a fork to seal. Cut a couple of very small slits across the top to vent. Place on baking sheet and repeat until all pies are complete.
- Crush remaining graham crackers into crumbs. Brush tops of pies with melted butter then sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs. Place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- To make these dairy free, omit the cream cheese. Just use the marshmallow creme and mini marshmallows.
- If you have leftover cream cheese mixture, it makes a delicious fruit dip.