In today’s installment of “recipes I can’t believe I haven’t shared yet,” let me introduce you to Nana’s Banana Bread. I have been enjoying this perfect, simple, moist banana bread my entire life. It was my mom’s recipe, AKA “Nana,” and I think she would be so happy to know that I’m sharing this with y’all.
I have no idea where my mom got the recipe or if she created it but this is the only banana bread recipe she ever made. That makes it hers! She passed away about 10 years ago and each bite of Nana’s Banana Bread takes me back to my childhood and reminds me of my mom. It’s such a simple recipe but so special to me. I’m definitely sharing a huge piece of my heart with this recipe!
How to Make Nana’s Banana Bread
The “cast of characters” for this recipe is very very simple. Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, eggs, butter, and bananas. The crumb on this is so tender and moist that it really could pass for a cake. It’s also made in a 9×13 pan but my mom called it banana bread so I will too. It doesn’t feel right to call it anything else!
First, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs until they are light and fluffy.
Next, mash two very ripe bananas and stir them in. Then alternately add flour and buttermilk until everything is combined well. My mom usually didn’t have buttermilk and would make her own. Just combine 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoon white vinegar and let sit for a few minutes before adding to the batter. I’ve tried her way and with buttermilk and both work great.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. It’s the easiest recipe!
How to Store
Nana’s Banana Bread is my favorite banana bread because it lasts for DAYS! I just cover the pan with plastic wrap and leave it sitting on my kitchen counter for us to snack on. It stays perfectly moist for about 3 days. It rarely lasts that long though! We love to heat it back up in the microwave for 10 seconds with a little butter as well. Once you make this, it will be your go to banana bread! Enjoy it for breakfast, dessert, or an anytime snack!
Ingredients for Nana’s Banana Bread that are on sale at Lee’s Marketplace the week of April 20-26: butter and eggs
Nana’s Banana Bread
- 11 tablespoons sweet cream salted butter, softened (1 stick + 3 TB)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Baking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or whisk by hand), cream together butter, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Add mashed bananas and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Alternately add a little of the flour mixture and a little of the buttermilk to the batter until everything is combined well.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.