I have a fun and delicious dinner idea for y’all! My BBQ Beef with Mexican Cornbread Waffles feeds a crowd and freezes so well if you don’t have a crowd to cook for. The beef is slow cooked in a flavor bomb of spices until it is fall-apart tender. The homemade cornbread is loaded with cheddar cheese, green chilies and onions then cooked in a waffle iron. Everyone loves this!
This recipe serves 10 which is a lot but I love to cook once and eat twice. We love the leftovers and sometimes I’ll just freeze them so that I can have a fast, yummy dinner on a busy night. Top the individual portions with extra cheese and onions for even more flavor!
Making the BBQ Beef
Chuck roast is the beef of choice for this slow cooker BBQ beef. It’s my favorite cut of beef for slow cooking and shredding because the result is always tender. There is some fat and marbling on chuck roasts but that means flavor and moisture.
Make the sauce by combining ketchup, Worcestershire, Dijon, liquid smoke, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and a little of your favorite BBQ sauce.
Next, place the roast in a slow cooker and pour the sauce on. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5-6. You’ll know it’s done when its so tender you can hardly lift it out of the slow cooker.
When the chuck roast is tender, remove it and shred with a couple of forks. Remove and discard the fatty pieces. Then place the shredded beef back into the sauce. Keep it warm until you’re ready to eat.
Making the Mexican Cornbread Waffles
This cornbread is so so good! The batter is scratch made with buttermilk, flour, cornmeal, eggs, butter, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Once the batter is prepared, add shredded cheddar or Colby Jack, green chilies, and onions. You can use any onion that you prefer – yellow, white, red, or green/scallions. I used yellow in the batter but green to garnish the finished dish.
Add the batter to your waffle iron and cook until golden and slightly crisp. So simple!
Serving the BBQ Beef with Mexican Cornbread Waffles
You can serve them on one big waffle for bigger appetites or cut the cornbread waffles into triangles for smaller portions. BBQ Beef with Mexican Cornbread Waffles would be fantastic served at a party! If you have a Halloween party or other casual holiday gatherings coming up, I highly suggest making this. Can’t wait to hear what y’all think!
BBQ Beef with Mexican Cornbread Waffles
For the beef:
- 4-5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (your favorite kind)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
For the waffles:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (4 oz each) diced green chilies, drained
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup onion, finely diced
- Place roast in slow cooker. Mix remaining beef ingredients in a bowl then pour over meat. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5. Remove meat and shred, discarding any extra fat. Return to liquid and mix. Keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs and buttermilk then whisk until blended. Add baking soda, cornmeal, flour and salt. Mix until well blended and no lumps remain. Fold in chilies, cheese, and onion. Cook in waffle iron until brown and slightly crisp.
- Serve BBQ beef over waffles. Add extra cheese and onions if desired.