I’m sharing a big piece of my heart with y’all today. This recipe was given to me over 20 years ago by a dear woman I knew at the time. I have changed it a little over the years (because I can’t leave recipes alone) but this Triple Coconut Quick Bread is so special. It’s just not the holidays without it!
One major change that I made to the original recipe was to replace vegetable oil with coconut oil. I mean, why not add more coconut to it? Ever since I tried it, there was no going back. It enhances the coconut flavor even more and made it even more delicious.
My Triple Coconut Quick Bread is easy to make and includes buttermilk to make it extra moist. The other coconut components are sweetened coconut flakes and coconut extract. With the coconut oil that makes it “triple coconut.” You can mix by hand or use a stand mixer. The recipe makes 3 regular sized loaves or 6-8 mini loaves.
How to Make Triple Coconut Quick Bread
PROCESS PHOTOS COMING SOON!!!
Perfect for Gift Giving
My neighbors have come to expect my Triple Coconut Quick Bread during Christmastime. I even had one slip me a $20 at church last week because he wanted extra loaves all to himself. It was hilarious! I have given it as neighbor gifts everywhere we have lived over the last 20 years – Utah, Texas, Ohio, and New Mexico. I had a neighbor in Texas whose husband had hated coconut his whole life until he tried this bread. He couldn’t get enough of it!
When I make it for gifts, I use the mini foil loaf pans, wrap the cooled bread in plastic wrap and tie it in a pretty bow. Easy! Even though coconut isn’t a typical holiday flavor to most, it is to my family and friends. I hope you try Triple Coconut Quick Bread yourself and create traditions with this recipe that is so special to me.
Good Things Utah TV Segment
I made this delicious recipe on ABC4’s Good Things Utah and it was such a fun segment. Watch me make it HERE.
Triple Coconut Quick Bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut oil (liquified)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
For the topping:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare 3 regular sized loaf pans or 6-8 mini loaf pans by spraying bottoms only with baking spray.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine eggs, sugar, oil, and coconut extract.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the sifted ingredients alternately with buttermilk to the egg mixture. Fold in coconut and nuts.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Fill each pan about halfway. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until tester comes out clean. (Baking time for mini loaves is closer to 45 minutes.)
- For the topping, add sugar, water and butter to a small saucepan and bring to a low boil. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add the coconut flavoring.
- Immediately after removing bread from the oven, pour topping over bread. Let cool in the pan before serving.
- Canola or vegetable oil can replace the coconut oil. Use the same amount.
- Make sure to use coconut oil that has coconut flavor and aroma. Do not use one that says “neutral flavor.”