I know the big game is over and we aren’t really thinking about appetizers but I absolutely couldn’t wait another day before sharing my Puff Pastry Beef Taco Pinwheels. I made these last week for Super Bowl and they were a huge hit and so easy to make.
Puff pastry is filled with the best ground beef taco mixture and cheese then rolled up like a cinnamon roll. Cut and bake then serve with the easiest lime crema. The puff pastry makes them feel extra special and the taco flavors are familiar and so declious!
How to Make Puff Pastry Beef Taco Pinwheels
First, let’s start with the taco meat. You’re getting a bonus recipe with this one because this is my favorite way to make ground beef tacos. I never use taco seasoning packets because this way is so much tastier!
Add one teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and salt to cooked and drained ground beef. Then add pepper to taste and 1/4 cup of red taco sauce. Perfection!
Next, lay one sheet of thawed puff pastry sheet on a flat surface then brush with an egg wash. This helps the meat “stick” to it.
Then, add half of the taco meat to the puff pastry.
After that, add a layer of shredded cheddar cheese then roll up tightly like you would cinnamon rolls.
Then, cut in half inch pieces and place them on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. So easy!
Serving with the Lime Crema
The Lime Crema might be just as amazing as the Puff Pastry Beef Taco Pinwheels. It only has a few ingredients! They are pictured below except for the salt. Just mix sour cream, lime juice, lime zest, fresh garlic and salt. Add a little to your pinwheels for the most incredible bite!
You really don’t need the excuse of a celebration to make these because I think they’d make a fun dinner. However, if you have a baby shower, family party, birthday party, or any kind of party, make these! Puff Pastry Beef Taco Pinwheels are easy yet impressive and, of course, delicious!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on salt February 16-22: ground beef, cheddar cheese, flour
Puff Pastry Beef Taco Pinwheels
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup red taco sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 teapsoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Prepare two baking sheets by lining with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- Add ground beef to a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and crumble until browned then drain grease if needed. Add chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, salt, pepper and taco sauce. Stir to combine well then cook for 5-10 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add egg and water to a small bowl then stir to combine well. Unfold then lay a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured flat surface then brush lightly with egg mixture.
- Add half of the ground beef mixture to the puff pastry sheet and spread to edges. Sprinkle with half a cup of shredded cheese. Roll up tightly like cinnamon rolls then cut in half inch pieces.
- Lay flat, cut side down, on baking sheet. Repeat with other puff pastry sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until puffed and lightly golden brown. Serve with lime crema.
- To make lime crema, add sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, garlic and salt to a bowl and stir to combine well.