If you love spinach artichoke dip and cheesy baked pasta you will LOVE this Spinach Artichoke Baked Pasta. All the yummy cheese makes it indulgent for sure but the addition of lemon juice and zest brightens it up and balances everything so well. This totally tastes fancy like you’ve made so much effort but it is not hard to make at all. I love meals like this! Minimal effort but BIG taste!
This is my go-to meal when I want to make my family a meatless meal. However, if you wanted to make it heartier and stretch it further, you could definitely add chicken. Rotisserie would be perfect!
Spinach Artichoke Baked Pasta also makes a great freezer meal! If you have 4 or less people to feed, you could easily split this into two casserole dishes and freeze one.
Your Grocery List
- 16 oz short pasta such as shells, orecchiette, penne, or farfalle (bowtie)
- Yellow onion
- Fresh garlic
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh lemon
- Frozen spinach
- Marinated artichokes
- Mozzarella (shredded)
- Pantry staples – olive oil, salt, pepper
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Baked Pasta
First, cook shells according to box directions, drain and set aside. I usually use these small shells or farfalle/bowtie pasta because that’s what my family prefers. Put them in a large bowl so that you can easily mix everything together.
Next, saute onions and garlic in olive oil then add to the shells.
Chop the artichokes and add to the shells as well. Also, thaw the frozen spinach and use an (old) towel to squeeze out the excess water from it.
Add remaining ingredients – sour cream, cream cheese, lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper, parmesan and mozzarella. Stir it all up really well then add to a greased baking dish.
Top with remaining parmesan and mozzarella then bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until heated through and top is golden and bubbly.
Spinach Artichoke Baked Pasta is one of those dinners that you’ll keep coming back to and will become a family favorite! As always, if you make it, share and tag me on social media or make sure to leave a star review here!
Spinach Artichoke Baked Pasta
- 16 oz short pasta (small shells, orecchiette, penne or farfalle/bowtie)
- 1/3 cup reserved pasta water (after cooking)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloved fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and excess water squeezed out
- 14 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Prepare a 3-quart baking dish (9×13) by spraying with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to box directions. Reserve 1/3 cup pasta water before draining and set aside. Place drained pasta in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat a skillet to medium then add oil and onions. Saute until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add mixture to pasta.
- To the bowl of pasta, add sour cream, cream cheese, 3/4 cup parmesan, 3/4 cup mozzarella, lemon zest, lemon juice, spinach, artichokes, reserved pasta water, salt and pepper. Mix to combine well.
- Pour mixture into greased pasta dish, top with remaining parmesan and mozzarella, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.