Are you a football fan? Whether you are or not, Super Bowl parties are all about the food anyway right?!? It’s not a party without my BBQ Chicken & Caramelized Onion Sliders! I’ve made many slider recipes and this one is, hands down, my favorite. Boldly flavored chicken, sweet caramelized onions, melty cheese…you just can’t go wrong with them!
I made these on ABC4’s Good Things Utah and it was such a fun segment. Watch my segment here!
How to Make BBQ Chicken & Caramelized Onion Sliders
Caramelized onions are a bit time consuming but very easy! You just have to be patient and give plenty of time because you just can’t rush the process. They don’t require much fuss, just planning ahead because it can take up to 1 hour. Check the recipe notes for tips!
Start by slicing the King’s Hawaiian rolls in half vertically. Then place the bottoms in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Next, add 3 cups of rotisserie chicken that has been seasoned liberally with your favorite BBQ seasoning.
After that, drizzle with your favorite BBQ sauce and the caramelized onions.
Now it’s time for the cheese! You can use any kind but I like to do a combo of cheddar and pepper jack.
Finally, place the tops of the rolls on and brush with melted butter than also has some of the BBQ seasoning mixed in. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
They are ready to serve! If you happen to have leftovers, just store them in the fridge and they will reheat well for a few days.
More Super Bowl Recipe Ideas
These sliders are great for parties but would also work for a busy weeknight meal. Get the kids in the kitchen to help assemble them because they are so fun to make. As always, if you make them please give me a comment below and let me know what you think!
Try these great party foods as well!
BBQ Chicken & Caramelized Onion Sliders
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 King's Hawaiian rolls
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 8 large slices cheddar or pepper jack cheese (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium-low heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until very soft and brown.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Coat the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Break rolls in half so that there are two sections of 12 rolls. While keeping rolls connected, slice each section in half horizontally using a large serrated knife. Place bottoms of rolls in prepared dish.
- Place chicken in a bowl then add 2 tablespoons of BBQ seasoning. Toss to combine. Spread evenly over rolls in the pan. Drizzle 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over the chicken. Add caramelized onions evenly across the top. Add cheese slices then place tops of rolls on.
- Add 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning to the melted butter and stir. Brush tops of rolls with butter mixture. Cover with foil and place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5-10 more minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- If onions start to get dry, add about 1 tablespoon of water to the pan.
- Optional: Add a teaspoon of sugar to the onions to speed up the process.