Classic muffaletta sandwich flavors made into an appetizer? Yes please! My Muffaletta Pinwheels are easy to make, loaded with bright flavors, and totally irresistible!
I’m imagining that part of you are excited right now because you’ve had a muffaletta sandwich and love them. The rest of you are thinking “muffa-WHAT???” Ha! If you are the latter, let me explain. Muffaletta sandwiches are a New Orleans staple and are made on a special round Italian bread and filled with a variety of meats like salami and ham. They also include cheese and a tangy olive salad which is definitely my favorite part.
To have a muffaletta sandwich is to love it and since I can’t transport myself to New Orleans anytime soon, I created these Muffaletta Pinwheels. They include all the flavors of the classic sandwich but rolled into the perfect appetizer. They will take you right to New Orleans!
How to Make Muffaletta Pinwheels
The olive cream cheese mixture is my favorite part! Giardiniera mix is basically pickled vegetables and usually includes cauliflower, carrots, pearl onions, red peppers, and celery. Peperoncinis are always in my fridge because we put them on everything-sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, you name it. Both ingredients can be found near the pickles and olives in grocery stores.
The process is pretty easy! Make the olive cream cheese mixture then layer the meats and cheeses on. Don’t be scared to roll it all up! It can be a little messy but that’s ok. Refrigerating the rolls before slicing helps them to firm up a little and makes them easier to cut.
My Muffaletta Pinwheels are the perfect dish to bring to your Super Bowl parties this weekend! This recipes makes A LOT but you will leave with an empty tray. I tried them out on my teacher friends and took the giant tray pictured below. They loved them and some are patiently waiting for this blog post so they can have the recipe!
Sponsored for Lee’s Marketplace. Items on sale the week of Jan 28-Feb 3: ALL OF THEM! YAY!
More Appetizer Ideas
BBQ Chicken & Caramelized Onion Appetizers
- 5 large burrito sized flour tortillas
- 2 (8 oz each) blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup giardiniera mix, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peperoncini peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup black olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup green olives, chopped
- 10 oz Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 10 oz deli ham, thinly sliced
- 10 oz mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 10 oz provolone, thinly sliced
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix cream cheese, giardiniera, peperoncinis, and olives together. Place tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture on, leaving a ½ inch border. Place one layer each of salami, ham, mozzarella, and provolone on top. Add another thin layer of cream cheese over the top. Carefully but tightly roll tortilla up.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap then repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings. Refrigerate rolls for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. Slice into 1 inch pieces and serve.
- Giardiniera mix and peperocinis can be found near the pickles and olives in most grocery stores.
- Use mortadella ham for more authentic muffaletta flavor.
Leave a Reply