Sometimes we just need an escape to somewhere tropical and carefree. It’s been a while since I’ve had that luxury so why not take myself there with food? That’s where my Jamaican Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Lime Slaw come to the rescue. The warm, spicy flavors take me back to our time in Jamaica 10 years ago! I mean, if I can’t have the beach right now I might as well have the delicious food that reminds me of it.
I made it on ABC4’s Good Things Utah and it was a hit! Watch me make it here!
Our Trip to Jamaica
My husband and I went on a cruise 10 years ago and we had authentic Jerk Chicken when we stopped in Haiti then again when we were in Jamaica. I fell in love with the sweet and spicy flavors! In Haiti we had the real deal…grilled Jerk Chicken on a huge outdoor grill (wish I had pics). Then in Jamaica we just went to a Hard Rock Cafe and they had the BEST Jerk Chicken sandwich served with a guava based sauce. We loved the sauce so much that they gave us a bottle! Ever since that trip, we have been making Jerk Chicken on the grill using store-bought spice blends.
How to Make Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Lime Slaw
I am always trying to come up with new taco recipes because they’re my favorite food and can be so versatile. I have had these Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Lime Slaw in mind for a long time and am so so happy with how it turned out. You just add some chicken breasts to your slow cooker along with onions, garlic, jalapenos, and lots of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. It is a very unique but authentic combo of spices and smells incredible as it cooks.
When it’s done, you simply shred it and serve on tortillas with the Mango Lime Slaw. You can also grill the chicken instead, just make sure to marinate it first for several hours.
The Mango Lime Slaw is so simple yet so crazy delicious! Mango, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and mayo are blended up then tossed with slaw mix. It is bright, tangy and pairs so well with the sweet and spicy chicken. It makes for the perfect bite!
You know what else is great about these tacos? Kids love them! My own kids devoured them. My 12 year old is soooo picky and went back for thirds! At the Good Things Utah station, there were a bunch of kids in the audience that got to have some and they all loved them too. You’d think that the unique combo of flavors would be too much for kids but that’s not the case. It has just enough spice not to overwhelm and the sweetness is just so yummy!
You need to get these on your menu ASAP! Feeling the winter blues? Take a trip to the islands in your own kitchen! You’ll love these Jamaican Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Lime Slaw. They are one of my favorite recipe creations yet!
Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Lime Slaw
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 large)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 fresh jalapenos, stemmed, sliced in half, de-seeded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the slaw:
- 14 oz traditional slaw
- 3/4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) mango, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno, stem and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Flour tortillas
- Queso fresco
- Avocado slices
- Place chicken in slow cooker then add onions and jalapeno. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl then pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 or until chicken shreds easy. Remove chicken, shred, then add back to slow cooker. Keep warm.
- To make slaw, place mangos, lime juice, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, mayonnaise and salt in a food processor or blender. Pulse until mostly smooth.
- Add slaw to a bowl, pour mango mixture on, then toss to combine.
- Place chicken in warmed tortillas and top with slaw. Garnish with queso fresco and avocado slices if desired.
- You can also grill the chicken. Place chicken in a bowl or zip top bag then add all ingredients except for the broth. Marinate for several hours then grill. Slice to serve on tacos.
- Leave seeds in jalapenos for extra spice or add cayenne pepper to taste.