This has been the hottest summer ever. Here in Utah we have hit record temps countless times. Seems like it’s never going to let up! I seriously dream of fall which is my favorite season. When it’s relentlessly hot like this, I end up using my slow cooker often so I don’t have to heat up my house. One of our favorites year round is my Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies. I have been making and perfect this recipe for years and am finally ready to share it!
I love recipes that I can just throw ingredients in my slow cooker and let the magic happen. Fall apart tender chuck roast, garlic, onion, pepperoncinis, Italian dressing mix, and a few other ingredients turn into the BEST sandwich filling ever. Add to a toasted cheesy hoagie roll and garnish with crunchy gardiniera relish. I make this for my family every couple of months and they get so excited every time!
How to Prepare Chuck Roast
My Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies start with a chuck roast. It’s the best kind of roast for slow cooking so make sure to choose this cut. Then you’ll add fresh onion and garlic before pouring on a whole 16 oz jar of pepperoncini pepper with the juice. You’d think it would make it spicy but it doesn’t. Just LOADS of incredible flavor!
Two ingredients that greatly deepen the beef flavor are Worcestershire sauce and Better than Bouillon Beef Base. They are a must! Then just sprinkle with dry Italian dressing mix!
Add everything to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork. I highly recommend using the low setting because I feel like the high setting ends up just boiling it.
Once meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and place on large cutting board or sheet tray. Shred with two forks while removing and discarding fatty pieces. Place the meat back in the slow cooker and stir to distribute. Keep it warm until you’re ready to serve.
Serving the Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies
To serve, first prepare the relish by roughly chopping about 1 cup of giardiniera mix. If you’re wondering what it is, it’s usually a mix of crunchy cauliflower, peppers, celery, pearl onions, and carrots that have been pickled. Some versions are spicy! Giardiniera means “from the garden” in Italian. If you have leftover, you could use it to make my Muffaletta Pinwheels appetizer. Yum!
Next, butter the hoagie rolls then place under broiler for about 2 minutes. You just want them to be slightly browned.
Then add provolone cheese and please don’t judge the amount I used. Ha! I like lots of cheese! Place back under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Assemble by removing some meat with a slotted spoon or tongs then adding to hoagie rolls. Top with giardiniera relish and enjoy!
Y’all have to make these Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies! It makes enough for a crowd and everyone loves it. You just can’t go wrong with a buttery, cheesy hoagie roll, super tender Italian beef and that crunchy relish on top. It will certainly become a family favorite and huge bonus points for using a slow cooker!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale the week of July 21-27: chuck roast, Italian dressing mix, Worcestershire, Franz hoagie rolls, Sargento provolone, pepperoncinis (32 oz), giardiniera (32 oz)
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies
- 5-6 lbs chuck roast
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced or chopped
- 16 oz jar pepperoncini peppers
- 1 packet (.7 oz) Italian dressing mix
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef base (Better than Bouillon)
- 8 hoagie buns
- Softened butter (about 1/2 stick)
- 16 provolone cheese slices
- 1-2 cups Italian Mix Giardiniera vegetables, drained and roughly chopped
- Place roast in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic. Pour pepperoncini peppers with all of the juice over the roast.
- Whisk beef base and worcestershire together then pour on. Last, sprinkle the Italian dressing mix over the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Take meat out of slow cooker and place on a cutting board or sheet tray. Shred meat with two forks making sure to remove and discard any fatty pieces. Add meat back to slow cooker and stir to combine. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Spread butter on inner sides of hoagie buns. Place on a sheet tray and broil in oven for 1-2 minutes or until very lightly toasted. Remove and place cheese slices on buns. Place back under broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove portions of meat and add to prepared hoagie buns. Top with relish. Enjoy immediately.