Tin foil dinners are so much fun and easy to make whether you’re at home or camping. My Chicken Broccoli Ranch Packets are my family’s absolute favorite! I created them about five years ago and now no camping trip is complete without them. They are definitely not your typical boring “hobo dinner!”
These delicious packets are filled with stuffing mix, chicken breasts, broccoli, bacon, cheddar cheese and plenty of Ranch seasoning and dressing. They are easy to assemble and take just 30-35 to cook. I make these year round because my family loves them so much. Eating them always brings up fond memories of our camping trips.
How to Assemble the Tin Foil Packets
Here are step-by-step pictures on how to assemble the packets. My kids have always loved to help make them. I highly recommend getting your whole family involved in the assembly process. This recipe makes six dinner sized packets. For smaller appetites, Chicken Broccoli Ranch Packets can definitely be shared.
Cooking the Chicken Broccoli Ranch Packets
You don’t need the excuse of camping to make tin foil dinners! You can make these in the oven, on a grill, or our favorite way which is a bed of hot coals. We use the little firepit area in our backyard for a makeshift outdoor oven. If you cook these on your grill or on coals, make sure to double wrap them for extra protection.
If you choose to make Chicken Broccoli Ranch Packets in the oven, just place all six on a big sheet tray and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. You do not need to flip them if you choose this method.
Serving the Packets and TV Segment
To serve, just place the packets on a plate, open up, and dig in! The combination of flavors is incredible and is sure to please the pickiest of eaters. You’ll never make boring “hobo dinners” ever again!
I made these about three years ago on my fourth cooking segment ever. Looking back at this segment, I can’t believe I have filmed almost 40 TV segments now. It is such a dream cooking on TV! Watch my segment HERE. I forgot an ingredient when I filmed this…see if you can figure it out. Ha!
Chicken Broccoli Ranch Packets
- Non-stick tin foil
- 1 box Stovetop Stuffing for Chicken (low sodium-6 oz)
- 1 cup water
- 2-2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons dry Ranch seasoning
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 6 tablespoons Real bacon bits (or 6 pieces cooked crumbled bacon)
- 6 tablespoons Ranch Dressing
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine stuffing mix and water. Set aside.
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl then season with salt, pepper, and dry ranch seasoning. Stir to coat evenly.
- On a large sheet of non-stick foil (or regular foil coated in cooking spray) layer: 1/2 C stuffing mix, approx. 8 cubes (6 oz) chicken, 1/2 C broccoli, 1 TB bacon, 1 TB of ranch dressing (drizzled), 1/4 C of cheese.
- Join long sides of foil together and fold down. Next, fold ends to make a tight seal. Repeat to make 6 packs.
- Place all packs flat on a large sheet tray. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- If preparing with charcoal briquettes, add another layer of heavy-duty foil to packets. Place 4 hot coals on top and 4 on bottom of each packet. Flip over halfway through cooking time. Cook for 30-35 min or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- If cooking on a grill, add another layer of heavy-duty foil to packets. Place packets directly on grill and cook on medium-high for 30-35 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Flip a few times through cooking.