Breakfast sandwiches are so much fun to make because they are SO versatile. You can change up the bread, the meat, the cheese, the veggies, the sauce, and the possibilities are endless. My Cali Style Breakfast Sandwiches are unlike any I’ve ever had and I am so in love with them!
The leaning tower of deliciousness! These flavorful sandwiches include sourdough English muffins, lemon herb mayo, bacon, egg, tomato, avocado, arugula, and colby jack cheese. Amazing!
California Style Foods
What foods do you think of when you think of California? For me, its avocados, lemons, and fresh greens. Oh, and sourdough bread! Boudin Bakery sourdough in San Francisco is life changing. Almost all of the avocados and lemons that are in the grocery stores in the U.S. come from California. Even the iconic Cobb Salad started in Hollywood! When I think of California, I think of fresh foods and that is what lead me to use an herb mayo and the peppery arugula. Learn more about Cali cuisine here.
How to Make Cali Style Breakfast Sandwiches
Start by making the Lemon Herb Mayo and I promise you, it is a must! Just five ingredients are transformed into a bright, flavorful sauce. If you have leftover, save it to use on turkey sandwiches.
I totally forgot to buy fresh parsley for this but in a pinch, freeze dried works great. I would not recommend typical dried parsley.
If you don’t have a microplane to grate your garlic, you could chop it very finely then mash it with the side of a knife. Do NOT use jarred garlic or garlic powder as a replacement. You want the garlic to be VERY fine for this.
So bright and delicious! Next, you’ll need to fry your eggs. If you don’t like fried, you could make scrambled eggs but fold them so they stay in tact instead of stirring and scrambling. That will work better for a sandwich.
I love these sourdough English muffins but traditional would work well too. You could even swap them out for croissants or biscuits.
Next, assemble the toasted English muffins with lemon herb mayo, egg, crispy bacon, sliced avocado, tomato slice, baby arugula and cheddar or colby jack cheese. The flavors and textures all work perfectly and it’s honestly better than any breakfast sandwich I’ve ever had in a restaurant. Cali Style Breakfast Sandwiches are incredible!
Sponsored for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale September 15-21: bacon, mayonnaise, eggs, English muffins, organic avocados, large tomatoes, cheddar cheese
Cali Style Breakfast Sandwiches
- 6 English muffins (sourdough variety if available), toasted
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices cheddar or colby jack cheese
- 1 lb bacon, cooked until crisp
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups arugula or baby spinach
For the Lemon Herb Mayo
- 1 cup mayonnaise (light is ok)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- To make Lemon Herb Mayo, add mayo, lemon juice, garlic and herbs in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Cook eggs according to your preference. Fry or do a folded scramble so that the egg stays in tact.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading mayo on both sides of the toasted English muffin. Next add egg, a slice of cheese, bacon, avocado slices, tomato, and a small handful of arugula.
- Enjoy immediately.