There is nothing cozier than a hot cup of chai tea or a perfectly soft banana muffin. What if I combined the two? Yes, that’s exactly what I did and my Chai Spiced Banana Muffins turned out even better than expected.
Imagine a moist banana muffin with the addition of chai spices – cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and black pepper – then dipped in a silky vanilla glaze. Wait, you don’t have to imagine because you can make them yourself! They are super easy to make and your family will gobble them up faster than it took for you to bake them.
How to Make Chai Spiced Banana Muffins
Let’s start with the dry ingredients that includes all of the warm, comforting chai spices.
A homemade chai spice includes allspice, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, and black pepper. Yes black pepper! It’s just a little so don’t worry about it being overpowering. If you’ve never purchased or used cardamom, it’s one of my favorites! It has a flowery peppery taste to it which sounds weird but is SO good.
Add these spices to all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt then set aside while you mix up the wet ingredients.
You’ll cream together the butter and sugar then add in eggs, mashed banana, and vanilla.
Next, add the dry ingredients to wet then divided evenly into a greased 12-count muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Making the Vanilla Glaze and Finishing Up
You aren’t done yet! These Chai Spiced Banana Muffins are topped with a delicious vanilla glaze that is a MUST.
Combine these three ingredients into a silky glaze then dip the mostly cooled muffin tops into it. There will be enough vanilla glaze to double dip! Set on parchment paper or a rack to let the glaze set.
My teenage girls ate these so fast I only got one muffin! I already have more bananas ripening so that I can make another batch. Chai Spiced Banana Muffins are my family’s new favorite muffin and I hope they become yours too!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale March 9-15: confectioners/powdered sugar, granulated sugar, butter, eggs, all-purpose flour
Chai Spiced Banana Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the vanilla glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a 12-count muffin tin by spraying with baking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar using a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mashed banana and vanilla then mix to combine well.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until well blended. Divide batter evenly into the muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Make vanilla glaze by whisking confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth. Add more milk to reach desired consistency if needed.
- Once muffins are mostly cooled, dip tops into the vanilla glaze then set on parchment paper or a rack to let glaze set. Feel free to double dip them!