If you’re stuck in a breakfast rut right now from being home every day, look no further because my Whole Wheat Banana Crunch Pancakes are here to save you. Of course, they’re great for dinner too because y’all know I’m a huge fan of breakfast for dinner.
These pancakes have been on my recipe testing list for months and I wish I had made them sooner. The inspiration behind them comes from a vacation that we took about 12 years ago to Palmyra, NY. We were living in Dayton, Ohio at the time while stationed at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and it was our first real family vacation. We stayed at the cutest Bed and Breakfast called Liberty House and they served the most delicious banana pancakes. I asked the owner what her secret was and she said that she put Banana Nut Crunch cereal in them.
At the time, I couldn’t find the cereal she used but we always have Honey Bunches of Oats in our pantry so I thought I’d try those. So perfect! It adds so much crunch, sweetness, and nuttiness! I can’t believe it took me this long to re-create them! They’re my new favorite pancakes!
I was so happy to find whole wheat flour at my grocery store! The shelves have been empty of flour and sugar every time I go in lately. I like the flavor that whole wheat flour adds to pancakes, muffins, and waffles. The addition of cereal to the batter makes is stretch! Instead of 12 waffles, it makes about 18 with the cereal!
Whole Wheat Banana Crunch Pancakes TV Segment
I made these Whole Wheat Banana Crunch Pancakes for a Good Things Utah segment that was a little out of the ordinary for me. I’m usually live in the studio but because of corona virus, they can’t have guests for the time being. I recorded my segment from home and sent it to them. I was more nervous to do that than live tv! Ha! It wasn’t perfect but it was fun and I hope to do it again soon. Watch me make them here.
Whole Wheat Banana Crunch Pancakes
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
- In a medium bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and butter. Stir in bananas.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and mix until just combined. Fold in cereal.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes. Heat a nonstick griddle (or skillet) to medium heat. Add a little butter to griddle if desired. Add about 1/3 cup pancake batter to griddle for each pancake. Flip when edges start to dry a little. Cook other side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Makes about 18 pancakes.
- Great Grains Banana Nut Crunch cereal could be used as well.