Y’all, I miss Texas so much. I have a trip planned for the end of May and am really hoping that actually gets to happen. I’m worried it won’t, so for now, I’m using food to remind me of home. Something that transports me right back to my mom’s kitchen is classic Chicken Spaghetti. This cheesy, indulgent dish was a staple for us growing up. It was something that my mom made often and knew that we would all love. The foods that we grew up eating as a child are usually at the top of our comfort foods list, right? With everything going on in the world right now, I felt like you all needed a bit of Texas comfort, too.
Chicken Spaghetti is so easy to make! It uses lots of simple pantry ingredients too. Yes it has VELVEETA in it! I’ve tried making it without and it just isn’t the same. My mom used only Velveeta but I like the sharpness that the cheddar adds. A little Velveeta is just perfect and adds the right amount of creaminess. I have recently seen two Food Network chefs use Velveeta on their Instagram stories so I think we are all looking for a little cheesy comfort right now. Ha!
One thing I love about this dish is that it makes a great freezer meal. Since my husband is gone right now, I knew it would take the kids and I a week to eat a 9×13 pan of it. I divided the mixture into two pans and have one in the freezer. I love when one meal (and mess) makes two dinners!
I hope that my Chicken Spaghetti fills your kitchen (and bellies) with some delicious comfort during a time when we all need it so much. Please make sure to comment here on my posts and share your creations on social media!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace.
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 lb thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 3/4 cup yellow or white onion, diced small
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 4 oz jar pimentos, drained
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a 9×13 pan by spraying with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add chicken broth, onion, bell pepper, and celery seed. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- In a large bowl, add pimentos, soup, and Velveeta. Pour the broth mixture over and stir to combine. Stir in 1 cup cheddar. Add cooked spaghetti and chicken and stir until everything is combined well.
- Pour spaghetti mixture into prepared pan. Top with remaining 1 cup cheddar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- If cooking your own chicken, make sure to season it first with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. If using rotisserie or canned chicken, no need to season.
- This is a great freezer meal! Divide into two smaller pans and freeze one for later.
- You can use fresh celery (1/2 cup) in place of celery seed if desired.
This is the most amazing chicken spaghetti! It will definitely be replacing my recipe. I’m so happy I tried it. Thank you Charlotte!
So happy you loved it! Thank you!