Trifles have become one of my favorite desserts to create! They are easy, so delicious, crowd pleasers, and beautiful. I know that y’all love them too because my Carrot Cake Trifle and Caramel Apple Cheesecake Trifle are two of the most popular recipes on my blog and Pinterest. I come up with flavor combinations so often that I currently have a list of ten trifles that I want to make! This Blueberry Banana Coconut Trifle is my newest creation and it might be my favorite one so far. I mean, what’s not to love? Moist banana cake, luscious coconut cream, juicy blueberries, and toasted coconut. That’s my idea of a perfect dessert!
Let’s start with the “cast of characters” because there’s not as many as you’d think. Each layer is pretty simple!
Looks doable huh? You start by making the cake according to package directions. Then you add baking soda, mashed bananas and bake. If you ever need a quick banana bread, this is perfect! The blueberries are as is and I personally prefer thawed frozen ones. They are juicier than fresh ones!
Don’t you want to dive right in? That is TWO ingredients! When I was creating this recipe, I knew I wanted to have a coconut cream layer but wasn’t sure how to do it. I walked around the grocery store looking for inspiration and found Coconut Cream Jello pudding mix. I decided to try making it the way I make the cream for my Italian Love Cake. Let me tell you, heavy cream + Coconut Cream Jello = MAGIC! Just whip them up in your stand mixer or a hand mixer. Simple and done!
Have you ever toasted coconut? The smell is so amazing! Just add to a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 325 for 8-10 minutes. It can burn fast so watch it!
Assembly for the Blueberry Banana Coconut Trifle
Now it’s time to assemble! You don’t need a trifle dish but you do need a glass or clear plastic bowl. You need to see those pretty layers!
The hard part is having to wait to eat it! It needs to go in the fridge and get nice and happy for a few hours first. It will be even better the next day! This is the perfect dessert for Easter or spring or summer or ANYTIME! You’re going to love it!
Check out my IGTV on Instagram @charlotte.shares to watch me make this!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace.
Blueberry Banana Coconut Trifle
For the Cake
- 1 yellow box cake mix (plus eggs, oil, and water to make)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Cream
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 boxes (3.4 oz each) Coconut Cream Jello pudding mix
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) blueberries
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Prepare cake according to box directions. Add baking soda and mix. Fold in mashed bananas. Pour into a greased 9×13 greased baking dish and bake as directed. Let cool completely and cut into cubes. (Cubes don’t have to be perfect!)
- To toast coconut, add to a baking sheet, spread evenly, and bake at 325 for 8-10 minutes. Stir halfway through to ensure even toasting. Careful not to burn! Set aside to cool.
- Using a stand or handheld electric mixer, whip heavy cream with pudding mixes until stiff peaks form. Add more cream or milk if it gets too stiff. Set aside.
- Place 1/3 of the cake in a glass bowl or trifle dish. Top with 1/3 of the blueberries. Add 1/3 of the cream and spread evenly. Repeat layers two more times ending with cream. Top with toasted coconut. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.