A few months ago I made a recipe that I found online for Tuscan chicken. It was so good and it sparked an idea that I should combine those amazing flavors with alfredo and pasta. I finally tried it out and my Tuscan Chicken Pasta Bake was a huge success.
You just can’t beat tender bites of chicken breast, a quick homemade alfredo sauce, and penne pasta tossed with sun dried tomatoes, marinated artichokes, and spinach then baked with mozzarella melted over the top. This pasta bake is bursting with the flavors of Tuscany!
How to Make It
What makes this dish “Tuscan?” The sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, and spinach! Classic flavors of Tuscany.
First, cube chicken breasts then saute in olive oil and Italian spices. Do you like my new pans? I gave my old ones to my son who moved out and replaced them with these. I love them!
Next, remove cooked chicken from the pan and make the alfredo sauce by combining butter, garlic, heavy cream, Parmesan, salt and pepper. It’s so quick and easy!
After the alfredo gets slightly thick, add tomatoes, artichokes, spinach and cooked chicken.
Then combine this incredible mixture with the cooked penne pasta and pour into a large baking dish.
You could probably stop right here and it would be amazing but why not bake it with melty cheese on top??? More cheese please!
Finishing Up the Tuscan Chicken Pasta Bake
I was losing so much light by the time this beauty came out of the oven but I think you get the idea. I used sliced, fresh mozzarella for the top but you can also use shredded block mozzarella.
My Tuscan Chicken Pasta Bake is one of those dishes that you’ll be adding to your regular rotation. It’s sure to please everyone in your family including picky kids! If they don’t like tomatoes and artichokes they can easily pick them out. This would also make a great freezer meal! Just assemble and freeze up to 3 months.
Happy 4oth Anniversary to my favorite grocery store, Lee’s Marketplace!
Ingredients on sale the week of May 11-17: chicken breasts (family pack), Barilla pasta, butter, olive oil, mozzarella
More Pasta Bake Favorites
We love pasta at my house! Here are a few more of our favorites:
Tuscan Chicken Pasta Bake
- 16 oz penne or farfalle pasta
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
For the sauce:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 16 oz heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, sliced in strips
- 14 oz marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- 3-4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (or fresh sliced)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, set aside.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet to medium-high. Add oil then add chicken. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is done and internal temp is 165°F. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate.
- To the same skillet over medium heat, add butter. Once it is melted, add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in cream and parmesan. Add salt and pepper. Stir and cook for a few minutes until slightly thickened.
- To the alfredo sauce, add sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, spinach, and cooked chicken. Stir to combine.
- Add pasta to the alfredo mixture and combine well. Pour into a 9×13 greased casserole dish.
- Top with mozzarella and parmesan then bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese melts. If desired, broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese.