There’s just something about the classic flavors of neapolitan ice cream that are so nostalgic and delicious. I’ve been a fan of that milk chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry combo since I was a child. I love taking classic flavors and using them in a new way and that’s just what I did with my Neapolitan Sandwich Cookies. They are so yummy!
Don’t you just want to dive into that pile of cookies?!? Y’all know I love desserts that begin with a box cake mix and I did it again with these easy cookies. Vanilla and milk chocolate cake mix are each mixed with just butter and eggs to create the perfect cookie dough. Then the filling is simply cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, strawberry jam and a little red food coloring.
This is one of those recipes that looks harder than it is. Neapolitan Sandwich Cookies are very easy to make!
How to Make Neapolitan Sandwich Cookies
I didn’t take many process pictures because I made a TikTok of the process. Yes I’m offically obsessed with posting TikToks and it has been incredible for growing my blog! Follow me HERE.
The process is very simple, though. Mix a vanilla cake mix with 1 stick of melted butter and 2 eggs then do the same thing with a milk chocolate cake mix. Scoop onto sheet trays and bake!
They make the most perfect cookies! Next, mix up the filling by combining cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, strawberry jam or preserves and a little red food coloring. You have to get that classice bright pink color!
Next, just add filling and chill the cookie sandwiches in the fridge. We like these best when they have been frozen. Yes they freeze perfectly so make a big batch and add them to school lunches or sneak a treat anytime.
More Cookies and What’s On Sale
The possibilities for “cake mix sandwich cookies” really is endless. Think of the variety of cake mix flavors and the combinations you could make! Remember when I made the Pina Colada Sandwich Cookies? They are one of my favorites! Of course you could always go with the very classic “Homemade Oreos” and use devil’s food cake mix and a plain cream cheese/confectioner’s sugar filling. We love those!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale the week of August 11-17: Betty Crocker cake mix, Food Club Strawberry Preserves, eggs, Food Club Cream Cheese
Neapolitan Sandwich Cookies
- 1 (15.25 oz) vanilla cake mix
- 1 (15.25 oz) milk chocolate cake mix
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, melted and separated
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 lb confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam or preserves
- red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a stand mixer (or by hand in a large bowl), combine vanilla cake mix, 1/2 cup melted butter, and 2 eggs. Mix until combined well. Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer (or by hand in a large bowl), combine milk chocolate cake mix, 1/2 cup melted butter, and 2 eggs. Mix until combined well. Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Scoop cookie dough onto sheet trays and bake for 10 minutes. Center should be slightly firm to the touch when done. Let cool on sheet tray for 2 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
- Repeat until vanilla and chocolate cookies are all baked. Cool completely.
- To make filling, whisk together by hand or with a mixer the cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and jam. Add one drop of food coloring then more if needed to created the classic bright pink color of neapolitan.
- Add more confectioner's sugar to filling if needed to create desired consistency. Should be pretty thick so that it doesn't run out of the sides.
- Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling between one vanilla and one chocolate cookie. Makes about 24 sandwiches. Store cookies in the refrigerator. They also freeze great!
- My cookie dough balls were about 2 inches in diameter. Feel free to make yours bigger or smaller. Just make sure all of them are equal in size so that your sandwiches match up!