In today’s installment of “recipes I can’t believe I haven’t shared yet” I give you my Easy Grilled Fish Tacos. Y’all know my favorite food is tacos. Any kind really! I love carne asada, chicken, al pastor, Asian fusion, and definitely fish tacos. They are my “go to” when I’m at a restaurant and see them on a menu. Years ago, I created my own and they’re easy and so delicous!
You can use any type of white-fleshed fish but I almost always use cod. It’s easy to find and my kids love it. The fish is marinated in bold seasonings like chili powder, oregano and cumin along with fresh ingredients like lime, jalapeno and garlic. Next, you grill or pan fry it then top with an easy chipotle sauce and all the trimmings. Let’s make it!
How to Make the Fish Marinade
First, whisk together the marinade and pour into a zip top bag or a baking dish like this.
You can tell there are some bold, strong flavors in that marinade!
Add the fish to the dish and turn to coat on all sides. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Next, grill the fish for about 10-15 minutes total. I was worried about it sticking to my pellet grill so I placed it on foil and it worked great. You can also pan fry the fish if you don’t have a grill or don’t want to use your grill.
Assembling the Easy Grilled Fish Tacos
Make the chipotle sauce by combining sour cream, mayo, chipotles in adobo sauce, lime juice and salt. Add more chipotles if you like more spice!
Next, warm up some corn or flour tortillas and prepare your toppings. We love red cabbage, avocado, queso fresco, fresh lime wedges, and the sauce. We usually add chopped cilantro too but I totally forgot it!
You just can’t go wrong with my Easy Grilled Fish Tacos! They are so flavorful and taste like restaurant quality. They are so simple to make and your family will think you’ve spent hours. I promise not to tell them how easy and quick they are! Add a side of rice and beans and you’ll have the perfect meal. I hope you love this!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale the week of August 18-24: cod filets, olive oil, sour cream, mayonnaise, flour tortillas, avocados
More Delicious Taco Recipes To Try
Easy Grilled Fish Tacos
- 2 lbs white fish, (cod, tilapia, or mahi mahi)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Purple cabbage, shredded
- Avocado, sliced or diced
- Queso Fresco or cojita cheese
- Fresh lime wedges
- In a small bowl or baking dish, whisk together oil, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, and spices. Add fish to baking dish or a zip top bag and coat in marinade. Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Make sauce by combining sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, chipotles and salt. If a totally smooth sauce is desired, blend in a food processor or blender. If not, just whisk and place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat grill to high heat and add fish. If needed, place a large piece of non-stick foil on grill first and place fish on top to cook. Grill fish for 5 minutes then flip. Cook about 5-10 more minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- To assemble, add fish to tortilla then top with cabbage, avocado, chipotle sauce, cheese, cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime.
- Fish can also be pan seared.
- Classic chili powder, ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder or Mexican hot chili powder can be used.