I’m sharing a piece of my heart this week with one of my mom’s recipes. I came across her Easy Stacked Enchiladas Suizas recipe recently and had to make them. I grew up with these and have always loved the simple, bold, comforting flavors! There are less than ten ingredients!
My mom passed away over 10 years ago and making her recipes helps me to still feel connected to her. She was an amazing cook! The only thing I changed about this recipe was the addition of cilantro and I love how it brightened this up. If you’re a cilantro hater, feel free to leave it out.
The recipe I found of my mom’s didn’t have exact measurements! That is soooo her though. I had to guess on the amounts but I think I got it just right. I love how quick it is to make and that is makes great leftovers.
How to Make Easy Stacked Enchiladas Suizas
Here’s the line-up! Except for the enchilada sauce – I totally forgot to include it in the pic. Darn! Less than 10 main ingredients and you probably have most of them on hand already. For the chicken, I added the chicken breasts to a slow cooker, added spices and a little water, then cooked on high for three hours. You could also bake them in the oven or use rotisserie. If using the latter, make sure to still add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and onion powder.
Start by making the sauce that includes green enchilada sauce, green chilies, chicken broth, evaporated milk, onions and cilantro. Easy!
Add some sauce to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish then top with a single but overlapped layer of torn corn tortillas.
Next, add chicken then a light layer of cheese.
Continue layers two more times ending with cheese. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10-15 more minutes.
Dinner is served! Don’t these Easy Stacked Enchiladas Suizas look incredible? They are such a crowd pleaser and a cinch to throw together on a busy week night.
How to Serve
We like to serve these as-is or with a dollop of sour cream and some sliced avocado on top. They also freeze really well! Great for leftovers too.
Cheesy, tons of flavor, filling, and oh so delicious! You just can’t go wrong with my Easy Stacked Enchiladas Suizas!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale January 26-February 8: chicken breasts, green enchilada sauce, Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, corn tortillas, chicken broth
Easy Stacked Enchiladas Suizas
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked with Mexican spices – SEE NOTES), shredded or diced
- 15 oz green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 oz evaporated milk
- 2 cans (4 oz each) diced green chilies
- 3/4 cup yellow or white onion, diced small
- 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped and divided
- 10-12 corn tortillas, torn into fourths
- 2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add enchilada sauce, chicken broth, and evaporated milk. Whisk together to combine then stir in the onions, green chilies and 1/2 cup of the cilantro.
- Add a layer of sauce to the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Add a single but overlapped layer of corn tortillas. Next, add 1/3 of the chicken and a light layer of cheese. Repeat layers two more times ending in cheese.
- Cover tightly with non-stick foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover then bake for 10 more minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro.
- How I prepare the chicken: place chicken breasts in a slow cooker with about 1/2 cup water. Then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper to taste, and 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and oregano. Cook for 3 hours on high then shred or chop.
- You can also bake the chicken by preparing in the way above but in a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- You can also use rotisserie! Just add the same spices but omit the salt.
Calista De Vries
Super easy to make. The whole family loved it.
Thank you for the review! So happy you loved it!
Where do the diced green chiles go? Can’t wait to try this!!
In the sauce. Hope you love it!