Imagine the most delicious breakfast casserole filled with crispy bacon, vegetables and cheese. Now imagine that baked in a croissant! That’s what you’re getting this week with my Breakfast Casserole Croissant Boats and they are as amazing as you are imagining.
With lots of people staying home and doing virtual school through the sickness going around, I thought this was the perfect time for a breakfast recipe. This one looks fancy but is SO easy and so much fun to make. It’s versatile too!
How to Make Breakfast Casserole Croissant Boats
First, you’ll need six large croissants. Then, just score a “boat” shape on the top and pull out the bread just like a bread bowl. Be careful not to tear a hole in the sides or bottom. For the discards, you can just eat them, toast them in the oven with the boats, or make a small batch bread pudding. We just ate them – ha!
Next, prepare your fillings. This part is very versatile! I used crispy bacon, red bell pepper, green onions, and cheddar cheese. Other ideas are cooked bulk sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, spinach and most any kind of cheese. You can even make each person in your family a custom one. Just mix the eggs but keep fillings separate and add them individually.
Next, whisk together 10 eggs with 1/3 cup milk. Add salt, pepper, and your mix-ins.
Use a measuring cup or small ladle to add the egg mixture to each croissant. The egg will seep down into the croissant but it’s ok. When it bakes, the egg fluffs up perfectly!
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Breakfast, brunch, or even dinner is done!
Look at that fluffy egg! We devoured these!
I haven’t tried it yet but these would probably freeze. You could even try them in mini croissants. Wouldn’t that be so beautiful for a brunch? The possibilities are endless with the fillings and occasion with my Breakfast Casserole Croissant Boats. I know you’re going to love them!
More Delicious Breakfast Ideas
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale January 19-25: eggs, bacon, bell peppers
Breakfast Casserole Croissant Boats
- 6 large croissants
- 10 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 bunch green onions, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Other ingredient ideas:
- Cooked, crumbled sausage
- Sliced mushrooms
- Baby spinach
- Diced tomatoes
- Other cheeses: mozzarella, Monterrey jack, gruyere
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a large baking sheet (or two) with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Using a serrated knife, score the top of the croissants in a "boat" shape then pull out the bread making a "bowl." Be careful not to tear a hole in the sides or bottom.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper together. Stir in bacon, veggies and cheese.
- Place croissants on baking sheet then use a measuring cup or small ladle to fill the boats with the egg mixture. The egg will seep down into the croissant but it's ok.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until egg is set.
- For the discard croissant pieces, just eat them or toast them in the oven with the boats to enjoy warm.
- For picky eaters or more versatility, add the meat, veggies and cheese individually to the boats after pouring plain egg mixture in.