When I was planning out my recipes for May, I knew I wanted to do something grilled and something with Mexican flavors. We grill all year but when the warmer weather hits, I just want to be outside as much as possible and grill all the things. I created these Cilantro Lime Steak Bowls and will absolutely be craving them all summer long!
This beautiful dish is full of grilled cilantro lime steak, rice, avocado, tomatoes, black beans, cheese, and finished off with a tangy lime crema. My teenagers raved over this and my youngest (and pickiest) said this was her new favorite meal.
Your Grocery List
- Flank steak
- Avocado or olive oil
- Fresh garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Black beans
- Cheddar cheese
- Red onion
How to Make Cilantro Lime Steak Bowls
First, let’s start with the simple marinade that consists of oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper. I just added it all to a shallow dish and whisked it together. You can also add it to a zip top bag and just massage to mix.
Next, add the flank steak and turn over a few times to coat well. Cover then place in the fridge for 30 minutes to 3 hours. The longer the better!
Heat your grill (any kind) to medium-high then add the steak. Cook until desired doneness but be careful not to overcook. Flank steak can get tough if overcooked and that would be a shame! We like ours medium to medium-well which is an internal temp of about 145 degrees.
When it’s done, let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. This allows for the juices to have time to redistribute.
The toppings for the Cilantro Lime Steak Bowls are versatile but you can’t skip the lime crema. It’s SO good and only three ingredients – sour cream, Tajin seasoning, and lime juice.
You’re going to absolutely love these! Set out a toppings bar and let your family pick and choose the veggies, beans, cheese, etc that they want. It’s such a crowd pleaser!
Lee’s Marketplace Store Display
My Cilantro Lime Steak Bowls are the featured May recipe in all Lee’s Marketplace stores. If you’re local, make sure to check it out!
Cilantro Lime Steak Bowls
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked rice or riced cauliflower
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, heated
- 1 can (15 oz) corn, heated
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 red onion, diced
For the lime crema:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Tajin seasoning
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place flank steak in a shallow dish or zip top bag. In a small bowl, add oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine then pour over steak. Make sure both sides of steak are coated. Cover (or seal) and place in refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-high then place steak on. Grill for 10 minutes then flip. Grill for 10 minutes more or until steak reaches desired internal temperature. Place steak on a plate or cutting board then allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice into thin strips against the grain or into cubes.
- To individual bowls, add rice, steak, avocado, black beans, corn, cheese and onion. Drizzle with lime crema.
- To add even more flavor use cilantro lime rice.
- More topping ideas: black olives, bell pepper, grilled onions, jalapeños
Leave a Reply