It’s that time of year for fresh berries! Locally, they aren’t quite ready but I’m happy to see them in my grocery stores from parts of the country where they’re in season. If I had to pick a favorite berry, it would definitely be blackberries because they remind me of my childhood picking wild ones. My newest recipe, Skillet Berry Monkey Bread, is bursting with fresh berries and more. It’s so delicious!
This is the monkey bread of your dreams! Canned biscuits are cut into pieces, dipped in butter, then generously coated in cinnamon and sugar. They are placed in a buttered cast iron skillet then sprinkled with fresh blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. As it bakes, the bottom of the biscuits get syrupy from the sugar and berries – my favorite part. After baking, the Skillet Berry Monkey Bread is drizzled with an easy lemon cream cheese drizzles. To die for!
Your Grocery List
- Pillsbury Grands Southern Homestyle Biscuits
- Granulated sugar
- Cream cheese
- Confectioners sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh lemon
How to Make Skillet Berry Monkey Bread
First, cut the eight biscuits into fourths. Then melt one stick of butter and make the cinnamon sugar mixture. Add a little butter to the skillet as well to “grease” the bottom of it.
Dip each piece of biscuit into the butter and coat all over. Then dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture and toss to make sure it is generously covered. Place pieces in the buttered skillet.
Sprinkle with 1/3 cup each blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. If for some reason, you want to omit one of the berries or use all of one kind, just make sure to use one cup total. Next, bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are baked through.
The lemon cream cheese drizzle is very easy to make but I forgot to take process pictures. In a bowl, use a hand mixer to blend 4 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, zest of one lemon, 1 tablespoon lemon juice together. Add more lemon juice or a little milk if needed to create desired pourable consistency.
Now it’s time to devour! My Skillet Berry Monkey Bread is easily one of the top recipes that I have ever created. I have had this idea in my head for a long time and I’m beyond happy with how it turned out. I know you’ll love it too!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale May 18-31: blueberries, blackberries, granulated sugar, cream cheese, vanilla extract
Skillet Berry Monkey Bread
- 12-inch oven safe skillet
- 16.3 oz Pillsbury Grands Southern Homestyle Biscuits, cut into fourths
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup fresh raspberries
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 TB fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Pour two tablespoons melted butter into an oven-safe skillet then brush or swirl to coat the bottom. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon together.
- Dip each piece of biscuit into the melted butter and turn to coat all over. Then place in cinnamon sugar and toss to coat generously. Place pieces close together in the prepared skillet.
- Once all biscuits are coated and placed, sprinkle with berries. If there is leftover melted butter, drizzle it over the top. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are baked through. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- While monkey bread is baking, make the drizzle by adding cream cheese, confectioners sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium sized bowl. Use an electric hand mixer or whisk to mix until smooth. Add more lemon juice (or milk) if needed to create a "drizzling" consistency.
- Once the monkey bread has cooled for 5 minutes, drizzle with cream cheese icing and enjoy.