I’ve been wanting to create a “fancy” grilled cheese for my blog for too long. Why oh why have I waited?!? It’s apple season and if you’ve never put them on a grilled cheese, allow me to change your life. My Bacon Apple Grilled Cheese with Herb Butter is what grilled cheese dreams are made of. You have grilled cheese dreams right?
Sourdough bread, herb butter, cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, sweet apples, and Dijon…oh my! This sandwich is, hands down, the best grilled cheese I’ve ever made at home. It’s simple and almost not a “recipe” but deserves a permanent spot on my blog. I honestly can’t wait to make it again! A plain grilled cheese will always pale in comparison.
How to Make the Herb Butter
Do NOT skip this step because the herb butter takes this sandwich to another level. Herbs and apples go really well together and the flavor that fresh parsley and thyme add makes it essential.
Add one tablespoon each of fresh parsley and thyme to 1/2 cup (1 stick) of softened salted butter. If you use unsalted butter, add about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then just mix it up!
Assembling and Cooking the Bacon Apple Grilled Cheese with Herb Butter
Let’s make this beautiful grilled cheese! Start by slathering two pieces of sourdough on one side with the herb butter.
Next, add a layer of Dijon on the other side of each piece of bread then pile on a layer of cheddar, bacon, apple slices, then more cheese. That second layer of cheese is crucial because it acts as “glue” to hold the apples and bacon in place.
To make the perfect grilled cheese that will melt the cheese so well and give you the crispiest browned bread do the following. Place the sandwich in a COLD nonstick skillet then place a lid on. Then turn the heat on to medium-low.
Leave the lid on and let it cook for 3-5 minutes. Check and see if the bottom piece is toasty and brown. Then flip and leave the lid off for the remainder while the other side toasts. Also, press down once you flip it so that everything melds together well.
I am 100% confident that you’re going to absolutely love this Bacon Apple Grilled Cheese with Herb Butter! It is such a unique and delicious way to enjoy apple season. This sandwich is perfect for an extra special lunch or a quick dinner. I can’t wait for you to try it!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale September 7-13: sourdough bread, butter, bacon, honeycrisp apples, block cheddar, Dijon mustard
Bacon Apple Grilled Cheese with Herb Butter
- 1 lb bacon
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Dijon mustard
- 8 oz cheddar, sliced
- 2 apples, thinly sliced (I used honeycrisp)
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon slices until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Pour out bacon grease and wipe the skillet out with a paper towel. Set skillet aside to cool off.
- Spread herb butter on one side each of two pieces of sourdough. Place butter side down on a plate or cutting board. Add Dijon to other side of each slice of bread and spread.
- Add one layer of sliced cheddar, bacon, and apples. Add one more layer of cheddar. Place sandwich in the cooled off skillet, place a lid over top, then turn heat on to medium-low.
- Let cook for 3-5 minutes or until bottom is brown and toasted. Flip and leave lid off. Press down on sandwich with a spatula. Continue cooking until other side is brown and toasted. Enjoy!
- Cheese options other than cheddar: fontina, gruyere, havarti
- More herb options for the butter: oregano, sage, tarragon
This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!