Soup season is here! I love soups of all kinds whether they’re cheesy, broth based, chicken, vegetable, beef, pork, slow cooker, quick…you name it. Creating a quick, delicious soup was a priority for me this week because I am busy writing my cookbook. (Yep! I’m so excited!) I absolutely love how this Easy Italian Beef & Vegetable Soup turned out and know you’ll love it too.
This soup has a beef and tomato base and is full of ground beef, vegetables and ditalini pasta. Top with parmesan and fresh herbs and it is just the yummiest soup! You could also add kidney beans to make it even heartier. It takes about one hour from start to finish which isn’t long for a scratch-made soup. Let’s make it!
Your Grocery List
- Lean ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Fresh garlic
- Beef broth
- Crushed tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Ditalini or other short pasta
How to Make Easy Italian Beef & Vegetable Soup
First, cook and crumble one pound of ground beef. I would suggest using lean ground beef so you don’t have to bother draining any grease. A little grease is ok though.
Next, add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. I prefer using large carrots over baby carrots because they are way more flavorful and not covered in chemicals.
Mix the veggies in with the ground beef then add crushed tomatoes, beef broth, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir to combine then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Finally, add zucchini and pasta. If you can’t find ditalini, you can use mini shells, mini farfalle or even orzo. You add the zucchini at the end so it doesn’t get overcooked. No one likes mushy zucchini! Cover again and let simmer for another 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
If you have fresh herbs, this is their time to shine! They’re optional but any combination of fresh parsley, oregano, thyme, or rosemary would be a great addition. Top individual bowls with grated parmesan and enjoy!
More Soups to Enjoy
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale September 14-20: lean ground beef, organic celery, beef broth, crushed tomatoes
Easy Italian Beef & Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 32 oz beef broth (low sodium preferred)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced or diced small
- 3/4 cup ditalini pasta
- Grated parmesan for serving
Optional fresh herbs (add any combo):
- In a large stock pot or cast iron pot, cook and crumble ground beef until browned. Drain excess grease if needed (a little is ok).
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic then stir to combine. Add broth, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat to simmer. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add zucchini and pasta, stir to combine, then place lid on. Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove bay leaves. Add fresh herbs if desired. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Top individual portions with grated parmesan.
- Other pasta options: mini shells, orzo, mini farfalle
- Add one can of rinsed kidney beans for more heartiness (might need to add more broth or water)