Summer is winding down and I’m really excited for fall. However, I am hanging on to and enjoying my favorite summer vegetables like corn, zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc as long as I can. I love all the fresh, in-season produce right now! I created a fun, easy recipe highlighting my favorites that I’m excited to share. Tex-Mex Chicken and Vegetables checks all the boxes that we need – quick, simple, loaded with flavor and versatile.
Even with prepwork, this dish is ready in less than 30 minutes! Perfect for busy weeknights and great for meal prep too because it makes a lot. Serve this tasty chicken and veggie mixture over rice, cauliflower rice, or as a soft taco filling.
Your Grocery List
- Fresh onion – yellow, white or red
- Bell pepper – any color
- Tomatoes – grape or cherry
- Fresh corn on the cob (or frozen corn kernels)
- Black beans
- Rotisserie chicken
- Taco seasoning
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Avocado or guacamole
- Jalapenos – fresh or pickled
How to Make Tex-Mex Chicken and Vegetables
Check out this line-up of colorful ingredients! Chicken, black beans, corn, zucchini, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and garlic – YUM!
Start by softening and lightly browning the onions and pepper. Make sure to use a deep skillet because we are going to load it up!
Next, add the zucchini, garlic and tomatoes then cook for 5 more minutes or until they are slightly softened.
Next, add black beans, chicken, and one packet of taco seasoning. This brand, Siete, is my new favorite! It is more expensive but doesn’t have fillers and the flavor is amazing. Not sponsored – ha!
Once the chicken and beans are warmed through, top with cheese and serve. So easy and yummy!
You can top individual portions with sour cream, avocado, salsa, and/or jalapenos for extra spice. This makes a lot and keeps for several days. Love it for lunches all week long!
Tex-Mex Chicken and Vegetables is the perfect way to enjoy the end-of-summer bounty of zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and bell peppers. My family loved this so much (even my zucchini hating teens) and I know yours will too!
More One Skillet Dinners to Enjoy
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale August 31-September 6: grape tomatoes, corn on the cob, black beans, red bell peppers, taco seasoning, cheddar cheese, olive oil
Tex-Mex Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow, white or red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 packet (1 – 1.5 oz) taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, Colby, or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Topping and Serving Suggestions:
- Rice, cauliflower rice, or flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos
- In a large, deep skillet add olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper then cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, zucchini and tomatoes, stir to combine then cook for 5 minutes or until zucchini is softened.
- Add corn, beans, chicken, taco seasoning and water then toss to combine well. Let cook 5 minutes.
- Top with cheese, stir to combine then garnish with cilantro.
- Serve over rice or as a soft taco filling. Add desired toppings.
Leave a Reply