I’ve been craving a cozy tomato soup for weeks so what did I do? I created one! This soup is super simple and easy to make. The flavors are bold and bright because of the quality and combination of ingredients. In 30 minutes or less you’ll have a comforting bowl of rich, thick tomato soup topped with bright, herby pesto. Grab a slice of crusty bread and dive in!
Not including salt and oil, this Tomato Pesto Orzo Soup includes only 10 ingredients. I love how quick and easy it is! The orzo makes it hearty and filling too. Pesto is a must! The bright, flavorful topping makes this soup so cravable.
Your Grocery List
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Fresh garlic
- Canned whole San Marzano tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Granulated sugar
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Fresh basil
- Orzo pasta
- Prepared pesto
It is an absolute must that you use HIGH QUALITY canned San Marzano tomatoes. They can be found in any grocery store. These tomatoes cost a little more than other brands but are 100% worth it. San Marzano tomatoes are imported from Italy and the quality and taste are unmatched.
How to Make Tomato Pesto Orzo Soup
First, add olive oil and onions to a large stock pot or dutch oven. I love using this enameled cast iron pot from Lodge.
Next, add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Stir together then add the broth and fresh basil. You don’t need to chop or tear the basil because the soup will be pureed after cooking. If you want the soup to be vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Now it’s time to puree!
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you could use a regular blender but it won’t be quite as easy to do.
Add 1 1/4 cup of orzo pasta to the pureed soup then cook for another 15 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir often so the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
Top individual portions with a heaping tablespoon of prepared pesto. We love using crusty ciabatta bread to dip into the soup.
Tomato Pesto Orzo Soup is the most delicious, cozy bowl of yumminess that you can have! Perfect weeknight meal during the busy holiday season. You’re going to love it!
More Soup Recipes To Make
Italian Beef and Vegetable Soup
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale December 7-13: olive oil, chicken broth, granulated sugar, Barrel Ranch Italian seasoning, Barilla pesto
Tomato Pesto Orzo Soup
- Immersion blender
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced or chopped
- 2 cans (28 oz each) San Marzano whole canned tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/4 cup orzo pasta
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup prepared pesto
- Heat a large stock pot or enameled cast iron pot to medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onions then saute until onions are soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic then cook for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and Italian seasoning then stir to combine. Stir in broth and fresh basil. Bring to a low boil then lower to simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth.
- Add orzo pasta then stir to combine. Cook for 10-15 more minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir often to prevent orzo from sticking to bottom of pot.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. The salt level really depends on what kind of broth you use.
- Top individual bowls of soup with a heaping tablespoon of pesto. Stir to combine. Serve with crusty bread if desired.
- It is an absolute must that you use HIGH QUALITY canned San Marzano tomatoes. They cost a little more than other brands but 100% worth it. San Marzano tomatoes are imported from Italy and the quality and taste are unmatched.
Leave a Reply