New year = new recipes and I am SO excited! I want to start by saying “THANK YOU” a million times over for the support here on my little blog in 2022. Because of it, my blog is not so little anymore! “Charlotte Shares Blog” grew by 94% in 2022 vs 2021 and I am beyond grateful. I thought I’d start out with a bang this year and share my incredibly beautiful, delicious, and healthy Tex Mex Salmon Burrito Bowls.
Isn’t she lovely? Isn’t she beautiful? We eat with our eyes first and oh my goodness is this bowl of goodness pretty or what?? Tex Mex seasoned salmon, roasted sweet potatoes and red onions, black beans, corn, avocado, cilantro, rice and the yummiest chili lime sour cream drizzle. I could eat this everyday of my life and be a very happy girl!
This recipe is inspired by one of the top recipes on my blog Cilantro Lime Steak Bowls. I wanted to do something similar but with salmon and sweet potatoes. I love that combo and am thrilled with how these burrito bowls turned out. They are customizable and everyone in my family (even the salmon haters) loved these!
Your Shopping List
- 1.5 lbs salmon filets
- 1 sweet potato
- Red onion
- Corn (canned or frozen)
- Canned black beans
- Sour cream
- Fresh limes
- Seasonings (you probably already have these): chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, pepper
How to Make Tex Mex Salmon Burrito Bowls
Let’s start with the Tex Mex rub that will go on the roasted red onions, sweet potato and the salmon.
In a bowl, you’ll add one tablespoon chili powder, two teaspoons each garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and salt, then 1/4 teaspoon each cayenne pepper and black pepper. Mix them together.
Add chopped red onion and one cubed sweet potato on a sheet tray then drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with 2-3 teaspoons of the Tex Mex rub. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
Next prepare the salmon filets by drying them off with a paper towel, drizzling with olive oil then sprinkling the remaining seasoning rub on them. The seasoning will be thick but just go for it because you’ll be happy you did!
Once the veggies are halfway roasted, scoot them to the sides of the sheet tray and place the salmon filets in the middle. Place back in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until salmon is cooked through. You know the salmon is done when it just barely starts to flake with a fork.
While the salmon is cooking, make the chili lime sour cream sauce. Mix together 1 cup sour cream, the juice of one lime, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and Tabasco to taste.
Heat up and prepare the rest of the Tex Mex Salmon Burrito Bowls elements like rice, black beans, corn, avocado slices, and cilantro then assemble the bowls. Drizzle with the sour cream sauce and devour!
Other Topping Ideas
These Tex Mex Salmon Burrito Bowls are totally customizable! You could even make taco rice or cilantro lime rice instead of plain white rice. You could also use riced cauliflower in place of rice. Here are some other topping ideas:
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Pinto beans
- Red cabbage
- Crispy tortilla strips
- Pickled red onion (in place of roasted)
- Fresh diced mango
I hope you love this recipe as much as my family did! I have some picky eaters at my house so I love dinners that can be customizable like this. Just set all the toppings out and let everyone assemble their bowls to their taste. Great for parties too!
Tex Mex Salmon Burrito Bowls
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1.5 lbs salmon filets
- 3-4 cups cooked rice
- 1 can black beans, heated
- 1 can corn, heated
- avocado, diced or sliced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Olive or avocado oil
For the sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Tabasco, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Make the Tex Mex rub by adding seasonings to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Place diced red onion and sweet potato on a large sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle 2-3 teaspoons of Tex Mex seasoning rub over. Place in oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Place filets on a large cutting board. Pat dry with a paper towel. Drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle remaining Tex Mex seasoning rub all over.
- Remove veggies from oven and push to the edges of sheet tray. Place salmon filets in the middle in a single layer. Place back in oven and cook until salmon begins to flake with a fork, about 15 more minutes (depending on thickness of filets).
- While salmon is baking, make the sauce by combining sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, salt and Tabasco in a small bowl or squirt bottle.
- Assemble bowls by filling with rice then top with salmon, sweet potatoes, red onion, black beans, corn, avocado, cilantro and a drizzle of sour cream sauce.
- Plain white rice can be replaced with: taco rice, cilantro lime rice, brown rice or riced cauliflower
- Additional topping ideas: Fresh diced tomato, pinto beans, red cabbage, jalapenos, crispy tortilla strips, pickled red onion (in place of roasted), spinach, fresh diced mango
Elna Moore Marsh
This sounds delicious! I love your recipes.
Thanks so much!