I love a good, cheesy casserole don’t you? My Swiss Ham & Vegetable Noodle Bake hits all the boxes when it comes to a family favorite repeat kind of recipe – easy, delicious, and full of flavor! From scratch Swiss cheese sauce, ham, vegetables, egg noodles, and it’s topped with a crunchy crouton topping. Yum!
If you have leftover ham, this would be a great way to use it up. You can also just get some thick cut ham from your grocery store deli or buy the cubed ham that’s near the lunch meat. Swiss Ham & Vegetable Noodle Bake would also make a great freezer meal! If you only have a 2-4 people to feed, split this into two smaller baking dishes and freeze one for later. I love cooking once but eating twice!
Your Grocery List
- Egg noodles
- Cubed ham
- Fresh broccoli
- Frozen peas
- Chive & Onion cream cheese
- Swiss cheese
- Seasoned croutons
- Pantry staples – flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper
How to Make Swiss Ham & Vegetable Noodle Bake
Start by prepping your vegetables. Cut up 2 cups of broccoli florets, 1 1/2 cups of carrots, and one cup of frozen peas. Set them aside while starting the water for boiling.
Egg noodles only need to boil for about 5 minutes. You’ll save a pot by boiling the veggies with it. After about 2 minutes of the noodles boiling, add the veggies for the last 3 minutes.
Drain and set aside while making the cheese sauce.
Melt butter in a large skillet, then add flour to make a roux. Stir and let cook for about 2 minutes before adding milk.
Add the milk and let come to a low boil. Stir constantly until it thickens. You have made a bechamel sauce! Super easy to make isn’t it?
Next, add the chive and onion cream cheese and grated Swiss cheese. Once that is melted, add grated nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Once the cheese is melted, combine the sauce with the cubed ham, noodles and vegetables. Pour into a greased baking dish then top with more Swiss cheese and crushed seasoned croutons. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
You are going to love this Swiss Ham & Vegetable Noodle Bake! As my husband was eating it, he kept saying, “Charlotte, this is a winner…This is my kind of meal…You have to get this on your blog ASAP.” I would have to agree! Make sure to tag me on social media if you make it!
More Cheesy Casseroles to Try
Swiss Ham & Vegetable Noodle Bake
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 oz chive and onion cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cubed ham
- 1 cup crushed seasoned croutons
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a 9×13 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray or thinly coating with softened butter. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add egg noodles then cook for 2 minutes. Add broccoli, carrots, and peas then continue boiling for 3 more minutes or until noodles are al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Bring a large skillet to medium-high heat then add butter. Once melted, sprinkle flour into skillet then whisk to combine into a roux/paste. Stir constantly and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk and whisk to combine well with roux until smooth. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Add cream cheese, 1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
- In a large bowl (or I use the pot I boiled noodles in), combine noodles, vegetables, cubed ham and cheese sauce. Mix to combine well then pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of Swiss cheese and crushed croutons, sprinkled evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbly.