Summertime is supposed to be slower paced but it never really is, especially as a parent. Is life ever really slow these days? Nope! I’m all about easy, quick dinners right now that my whole family will love and my Beef Taco Cast Iron Pizza fits the bill perfectly.
This is a 35-40 minute dinner from start to finish and it’s versatility makes it a crowd pleaser. Ready-made pizza crust, jazzed up refried beans, flavorful ground beef, loads of cheddar and taco toppings galore. This recipe is also Dutch oven friendly so if you’re camping, try it out!
It is suggested to use a 12-inch cast iron skillet but you can use any skillet that can go in the oven at 425 degrees. As mentioned above, a Dutch oven works too. This recipe makes two pizzas so you might have to do one of each!
Your Grocery List
- 2 pizza crusts
- 1 lb ground beef
- White or red onion
- Refried beans
- Taco Sauce
- Frontera Taco Seasoning Sauce
- Cheddar cheese
- Iceberg lettuce
- Fresh tomato
- Sour cream
- Optional: green onions, avocado, black olives, salsa
You can use any kind of refried beans but I do suggest using this Mild Red Taco Sauce or something very similar.
I HIGHLY suggest using this Frontera Taco Seasoning Sauce for the ground beef. It is a million times better than the dry packet stuff. It’s so flavorful and delicious!
How to Make Beef Taco Cast Iron Pizza
First, prep the ingredients while your oven preheats. Brown the ground beef and onion in a separate skillet then add the taco sauce. In a bowl, mix together the refried beans and taco sauce.
For the pizza crust, I am a big fan of Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust but feel free to make your own from scratch or use a different brand.
Oil your skillets a little then press the pizza crust in to fit the pan. Spread half of the bean mixture on like “pizza sauce.”
Next, add half of the ground beef mixture then top with freshly shredded cheddar. I don’t like using pre-shredded cheese for pizzas because it doesn’t melt as well.
Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cooked through. Depending on the brand of crust, timing may be different so keep an eye on it.
Now it’s ready to top! I love the freshness of lettuce and tomato with a drizzle of sour cream. My family devoured this Beef Taco Cast Iron Pizza and there were no leftovers! Try out this Green Goddess Pesto Chicken Pizza sometime too.
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale July 6-12: ground beef, La Victoria taco sauce, refried beans, cheddar, sour cream
Beef Taco Cast Iron Pizza
- 2 12-inch cast iron skillets, see recipe notes
- 2 (12-16 oz) ready-made refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 white or red onion, diced
- 8 oz Frontera Beef Taco Seasoning Sauce (suggested brand)
- 1 (15 oz) can refried beans
- 1/2 cup red taco sauce (La Victoria brand or similar)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 8 oz sour cream
- Cooking spray or oil
Additional topping ideas:
- Green onions
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble ground beef and onion. Drain grease if needed then stir in Frontera taco seasoning. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, add refried beans and taco sauce then stir to combine well.
- Lightly spray two 12-inch cast iron skillets with cooking spray or coat with a little cooking oil. Add pizza dough to each skillet then press to fit pan.
- Top each pizza with half of the refried beans mixture leaving about a 1/2 inch edge. Top each with half of the ground beef mixture then 1 cup each of shredded cheddar.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cooked through. Let sit for 5 minutes then top with lettuce, tomato, sour cream and any other "taco" toppings you desire.
- If you don’t have a cast iron skillet or if you only have one, you can also use any deep skillet that can be used in an oven.
- A Dutch oven would work great too in the oven or over coals outside camping.