School is back in session and it always makes me think of peanut butter and jelly. I’m past the stage of making lunches for my kids (yay teenagers) but I can make them an after school treat that they’ll love. These Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches did the trick!
What’s not to love about a super soft peanut butter cookie with raspberry jam and vanilla ice cream sandwiched in the middle? They are so yummy! I’m on a peanut butter kick lately and I’m loving the outcome. I know many of you have loved my Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Cake!
Your Grocery List
Most items are pantry staples so you’ll probably only need a few things:
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Creamy peanut butter
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
- Vanilla ice cream
Making the Peanut Butter Cookies
First of all, these peanut butter cookies are absolute perfection if I do say so. I’ve made many versions over the years but once I started experimenting for this recipe, I “accidentally” made the perfect cookies. They are SO soft that I was worried they wouldn’t hold up to the sandwiches but they do. They also stay slightly soft right out of the freezer.
What I’m saying is, if you ever just want to make the cookies, go for it! Oh, and don’t forget to stick a Hershey’s kiss in the middle…yum!
Make sure when a recipe like this says to cream together butter and sugar, listen up! Mixing and creaming are totally different. If you are patient and let the mixer go for a few minutes, it gives the butter and sugar time to fully incorporate and make air bubbles resulting in a creamy light mixture.
Before baking, roll the dough into balls then use a fork to make a cross hatch pattern across the top. This will slightly flatten the balls too which is what you want.
Assembling the Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches
Once the cookies are completely cool, spread about one teaspoon each on the bottom of two cookies.
Next, add one scoop of slightly soft vanilla ice cream.
Place the other cookie on top then very carefully press down in the middle to distribute the ice cream more evenly.
Place the sandwiches on a parchment lined baking sheet then place in the freezer for 2-3 hours before enjoying.
These Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches are the perfect after school treat or anytime you want to indulge in your favorite childhood combo!
Sponsored post for Lee’s Marketplace. Ingredients on sale August 24-30: butter, granulated sugar, peanut butter, vanilla extract, eggs, flour, baking soda, Food Club strawberry preserves, vanilla ice cream
Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sweet cream salted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Approx. 1 cup strawberry or raspberry jam
- Approx. 1/4 gallon vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, add brown sugar, granulated sugar and butter then cream together on medium for 2-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Mix in peanut butter, eggs and vanilla then combine well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly mix into the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Scoop dough into 2-inch sized balls and roll to make uniform. Place on baking sheet then use a fork to make a crosshatch pattern on the top of each cookie slightly flattening the cookie.
- Place in oven and bake for 9-10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned and the top is still soft. After removing from oven, let rest on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- To make sandwiches, spread about 1 teaspoon each of jam on the bottom of two cookies. Place a scoop of ice cream on one side, place the other cookie on top, then very carefully press down to even out the ice cream. Place cookie sandwiches on a parchment lined baking sheet or dish then into the freezer for at least 3 hours before enjoying.