Looking for a quick and delicious dinner option that’s bursting with flavor? Look no further! My Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas recipe is a crowd-pleaser that’s perfect for busy weeknights or casual gatherings. I’ll walk you through the simple steps to create this mouthwatering dish that combines tender chicken, colorful bell peppers, and zesty seasonings. Let’s get started!
Your Grocery List
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Bell peppers
- Red onion
- Fresh limes
- Pantry seasonings: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, olive oil
- Toppings: cheese, avocado, cilantro, sour cream
Now let’s make Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas!
Step 1: Marinate the Chicken
Start by placing the thinly sliced chicken into a plastic zip-top bag.
Add the honey, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper into the bag.
Close the bag securely and give it a gentle massage to ensure all the ingredients are well incorporated. Place the bag in the refrigerator and let the chicken marinate for at least 2 hours, but if time permits, aim for 8+ hours for maximum flavor infusion.
Step 2: Sauté the Peppers and Onions
Once your chicken has marinated to perfection, it’s time to start cooking! Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the heated skillet.
Toss in the julienned bell peppers and red onions and cook them until they become soft and slightly caramelized. This should take just a few minutes. Once done, set them aside for later.
Step 3: Cook the Chicken
In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the marinated chicken strips to the skillet and cook them while stirring frequently. Cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, which should take about 7-10 minutes.
Step 4: Combine and Serve
Once the chicken is cooked to perfection, add the sautéed peppers and onions back into the skillet. Stir them together for a minute or two to allow all those wonderful flavors to meld. Now, it’s time to assemble your Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas! Spoon the chicken and pepper mixture onto warm tortillas.
Don’t forget to add your favorite toppings for that extra burst of flavor. Whether it’s creamy cheese, creamy avocado, fragrant cilantro, zesty salsa, or cooling sour cream, the choice is yours! For the finishing touch, roll up your tortillas and enjoy your homemade fajitas with family and friends.
There you have it – a simple recipe for delicious Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas that will have your taste buds dancing with delight. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just getting started in the kitchen, this recipe is a surefire way to impress your loved ones with a satisfying meal. Give it a try, and you’ll be coming back to it time and time again. Happy cooking!
More Tex-Mex Recipes to Try
Cilantro Lime Steak Bowls – The number 1 recipe on my blog!
Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 fresh lime, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bell peppers (any color), cut into strips
- 1 large red onion, cut into strips
Additional ingredients and toppings:
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Avocado slices or prepared guacamole
- Sour cream
- Placed sliced chicken in a plastic zip top bag. Add honey, lime juice, and seasonings. Close bag and massage to incorporate ingredients. Place in fridge and marinate for 2-24 hours.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add peppers and onions then cook until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to pan then add chicken. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked through (7-10 minutes).
- Add peppers back to pan and stir (or leave separate for picky eaters).
- Serve on tortillas with toppings of your choice.